Clinical Health Psychology
Dr. Somjee specializes in delivering health/medical psychology services for patients with chronic medical conditions. She provides psychosocial treatments to help patients engage in their medical treatment and manage their medical health, alongside medical treatments they are receiving from their medical professionals.
Health psychology services offered
- Health psychology interventions to help prevent or manage chronic medical diseases (cardiovascular disease, chronic pain, infertility, gastrointestinal conditions, diabetes and so forth)
- Increase adherence and motivation to exercise and eat healthy long term
- Medication adherence
- Assess for psychological disorders that can increase risk for chronic diseases
- Coping with medical illness
- Anxiety due to health fears or medical procedures
Health Psychology Consulting
Her expertise in clinical health psychology includes a focus on implementing innovative models of healthcare delivery within medical healthcare systems; thereby increasing patient engagement, improving patient care, and decreasing healthcare costs.
Additionally, she has experience providing psychosocial precepting / training to medical residents and fellows, as well as providing consultation to physicians to promote patient engagement and improve patient health.