Dr. Lubna Somjee is a licensed psychologist in New York State’s Hudson Valley. She obtained her doctoral degree in clinical psychology at the University of South Dakota. She went on to complete two post doctoral fellowships. The first was in clinical psychology at Yale School of Medicine and the second in health psychology at VA Connecticut (Yale School of Medicine affiliate).
Dr. Somjee specializes in delivering health/medical psychology services to patients with chronic medical conditions, alongside their existing medical treatments.
Additionally, she provides psychotherapy for patients dealing with emotional issues ranging from stress, workplace and relationship concerns, to anxiety and depression.
Dr. Somjee provides executive coaching by facilitating an individualized process whereby leaders can maximize business and personal mastery to drive results and sustainable growth for organizations.
Her expertise in clinical health psychology includes a focus on implementing innovative models of healthcare delivery within medical healthcare systems; thereby increasing patient engagement, improving patient care and satisfaction, and decreasing healthcare costs.
Additionally, she has experience providing psychosocial precepting to medical residents and fellows, and providing consultation to physicians to promote patient engagement, improve patient health and satisfaction.
- Author, ‘Mindful Living’ column, for the Poughkeepsie Journal
- Co-Chair Health Care Reform Task Force, New York State Psychological Association
- Stakeholder representative (NYSPA), New York State Health Benefit Exchange Regional Advisory Committee
- Media Ambassador, New York State Psychological Association
- Elected Legislative Representative to New York State Psychological Association Legislative Committee
- Elected to Council of Representatives, New York State Psychological Association 2008-2010
- Recipient of the New York State Psychological Association’s Distinguished Service Award (2013).
- Recipient of the Hudson Valley Psychological Association’s Excellence in Psychology Award (2009).
- Member, Hudson Valley Psychological Association
- Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Dutchess County American Red Cross Disaster Mental Health Team Task force member, Medical Reserve Disaster Task Force (Northern Metropolitan Healthcare Foundation) 2003-2008